Automation flows are the perfect way to create and send multi-stage communications triggered by a certain event (e.g., subscribing to texts, abandoning a cart, etc.). With Flow Builder, you can schedule individual messages, limit the frequency of how often a subscriber can enter your flow, and take advantage of Wait for Event Branching.
Why You Should Create Automation Flows
- Automation flows run in the background. No create-and-send or future scheduling which allows your brand to always be engaging with customers while getting time back in your busy day.
- Flows give you the opportunity to engage subscribers through a series of highly customizable and creative text messages throughout their buying journey.
- Create automations for several subscriber experiences including welcome series, abandoned carts, post-purchase, and more so you can target the right subscribers at just the right times.
How to Set Up Automation Flows
- Select Messaging in the side menu of your Postscript dashboard, then select Flow Builder.
- Select Create Flow in the top-right corner of the page.
- Choose Automation as your flow type. Then click Create Flow.
- Name the automation. Choose a name that will allow you to easily identify and track this automation in the future.
- Define the automation trigger. A trigger is an action that will begin the automation flow. In the example above, the flow will send to a subscriber who starts the checkout process.
- Add trigger filters. Trigger filters can help you fine-tune when an automation is triggered. The example above will only send to a subscriber whose abandoned cart subtotal is more than $100.
- Add Subscriber filters. User filters can help you narrow down which subscribers can receive an automation. The flow above will only send if the subscriber has previously placed 2 orders.
- Add a subscriber frequency filter. The subscriber frequency filter allows you to choose how often a subscriber can enter a given automation flow for a certain period of time. The example above will only allow subscribers to enter this flow every 30 days.
- Add a cancellation trigger. The cancellation trigger tells Postscript when to remove a subscriber from an automation flow. In the example above, a subscriber will be removed from receiving this automation if they place an order.
- Save. Select Save in the bottom right corner of the properties editor.
- Add actions to your flow. You can begin building your flow by dragging and dropping a Send Message action, a Delay, an A/B Split, or a Wait for Event Split.
- When adding a Send Message action to your automation flow, you may consider using some of our message enhancements located in the bottom right corner of the Message Editor to spruce things up.
- Add emojis by clicking the square smiley face icon.
- Add merge tags like subscriber first name, your shop link, or your shop name by clicking the overlapping tags icon.
- Add a Postscript-generated coupon by clicking the percentage icon.
- Add a Shopify-generated coupon and discount link or an Abandoned Cart link by clicking the hyperlink icon. Note: Links and tags are trigger-specific. Not all link or tag options will be visible for all trigger types. For example, an abandoned cart link can only be added if the automation flow trigger is Checkout Started.
If you're ready to send your flow, select Schedule or Activate in the top-right corner of the page. You have two options when sending a flow:
- Activate immediately: This option will immediately begin the flow allowing subscribers to enter the automation based on the selected properties.
- Activate at a scheduled time and date: Choose when you'd like the flow to begin allowing subscribers to enter.
- How can I preview my message before activating the flow? Hover over the message body within the flow. To preview the message before you send your automation flow, click the "Send Preview" button.
- How do I deactivate a flow? Select Deactivate in the upper right corner next to Save Flow.
- How can I copy or clone an existing automation flow? In the Flows view, find the flow you'd like to clone. Select the three-dot icon to the far right of an activated or drafted flow and select copy flow from the options listed.
Want to Learn More about Automation Flows?
Have questions? Please feel free to reach out to our wonderful Support team at firstname.lastname@example.org or via live chat. You can also submit a support request here!
Need ongoing channel strategy guidance? Please fill out this form and we'll connect you to one of our certified partners.