Tip: Select any of the images in this article for a closer look.
Growing your subscriber list is an essential part of a strong SMS strategy, and Postscript offers several creative ways to add SMS list growth opportunities throughout your marketing efforts.
In this article, we are going to introduce growing your list using keywords.
Keywords truly are one of the easiest ways to grow your subscriber list. You can include a keyword in a website banner or popup, social media campaigns, emails, printed marketing materials, videos, and more.
Here's how keywords work:
- You create a keyword (ex: TOTHEMOON10) and assign it a coupon code for 10% off.
- You share this keyword with your customers, social media followers, and other potential subscribers.
- These individuals text TOTHEMOON10 to your dedicated toll-free number or shortcode.
- Each individual receives an opt-in confirmation and the 10% coupon code to use in your store.
Create a Keyword
You can create keywords by selecting Keywords in the side menu of your Postscript dashboard.
The Keywords page allows you to view and edit existing keywords. You can see, at-a-glance, the number of times subscribers have responded with a specific keyword, how many orders a keyword has generated, and the keyword's overall earnings.
To create a new keyword, select Create Keyword in the top-right corner of the page.
Stores on a dedicated toll-free number or shortcode can create unlimited keywords, even keywords used by other brands. For example, multiple drink brands can use the keyword THIRSTY. Stores on a Postscript trial can create 2 keywords.
Keyword. Name your keyword. Aim for something that explains what the keyword is for and any coupon included. For example:
- FLOWER20. A flower store with a 20% off coupon code.
- LABORDAY15. A store running a Labor Day Sale with a 15% off coupon code.
- BIKINI15. A women's swimwear store with a 15% off coupon code.
- POSTSCRIPTSMS. A code that includes the brand name.
- Include Coupon in Reply. We highly recommend you include a coupon with your keyword. To do so, select Yes from the drop-down and then enter the amount of the discount and whether is a percent or dollar value.
- Save. Select Save Keyword to save your keyword and continue to the final step.
Postscript creates an auto-reply that sends whenever a subscriber texts in the keyword. You can edit this message or add additional messages.
- Reply. You can edit the details in a reply message by selecting the gear icon in the purple Reply box.
- Add Action. You can add a second response by selecting Add Action.
We encourage you to put your brand's heart and voice in these messages as it could be the first message your subscribers get from you. You can use GIFs, images, and emojis, if applicable.
Share Your Keyword
You have several options when it comes to sharing your keywords. We review a few of these options below.
Think outside the box when it comes to keywords. They're incredibly versatile, which means you can use them almost anywhere.
- Print keywords on inserts included in shipped orders.
- Put keywords in your email signature.
- Say keywords in live videos, radio ads, or podcast spots.
- Print keywords on stickers, business cards, or other materials for events.
Compliance Language Requirements
Here's the TCPA-approved compliance language:
You should now be all set to grow your subscriber list with keywords!
Between now and Cyber Monday, we’re dropping monthly 🔥 resources to help you crush your Q4 marketing goals. Come check out our 2021 Holiday Hub.
Need ongoing channel strategy guidance? Please fill out this form and we'll connect you to one of our certified partners.