Maintaining the hygiene of your SMS contact list is essential to understanding how your SMS program is performing and gives your brand the best chance for optimal subscriber engagement. It's important to maintain list hygiene because:
- It's cost-effective. Target the engaged pocket of your subscriber base more often so you don't spend usage on subscribers who are unengaged with your brand.
- You will preserve your brand reputation. Subscribers may become less engaged over time. If you continue to text them too frequently, it can leave a bad impression. Give your subscribers the option to opt-out of your SMS program in order to preserve your brand reputation.
- A clean list will result in clean analytics. Having an extensive subscriber list does not always result in the highest conversions. Running an SMS program this way can feel like throwing mud at the wall to see what sticks. With a clean list, you can get an accurate read on how your messages are performing.
In this guide, we'll offer recommendations for how to scrub your current list and best practices for maintaining a clean list moving forward.
Clean Your List with a Win-Back Campaign
In this section, we'll walk you through how to create a segment of unengaged subscribers, then how to build a win-back campaign.
You may consider sending a win-back campaign to an unengaged segment in order to give subscribers the opportunity to opt out of receiving future SMS messages or to re-engage with your brand by indicating what kind of SMS messages they want to receive.
Before You Go
- Leverage Confirmed Opt-in. Postscript takes a product-led approach to compliance meaning features like confirmed opt-in (sometimes called double opt-in) are built into our app. Confirmed opt-in requires a subscriber to confirm their intent to subscribe to your shop. By utilizing confirmed opt-in, you can be sure that your list is devoid of inactive or inaccurate numbers.
- Add "Reply STOP to unsubscribe" to your campaign messages at least once every month to give unengaged subscribers the opportunity to opt-out of your SMS program.
- Send hyper-targeted messages more often. Send personalized messages to various pockets of your most engaged subscriber base rather than sending blanketed or mass campaigns.
- Did you know Postscript has Win-Back templates you can utilize? Head to create a new campaign or automation, select Use a template, then choose the Win-Back category to browse our library of templated automations and campaigns.
- Want to learn more about how Postscript helps you stay compliant when it comes to opt-outs? Check out this overview.
- Interested in how Postscript approaches compliance? We've got you covered with our SMS Marketing Compliance Overview
- Did you know you confirmed opt-in helps to validate phone numbers collected at checkout, via forms, or in popups? Learn how here.
Have questions? Please feel free to reach out to our wonderful Support team at email@example.com or via live chat. You can also submit a support request here!
Need ongoing channel strategy guidance? Please fill out this form and we'll connect you to one of our certified partners.