Confirmed opt-in (also known as double opt-in) allows brands to require that subscribers confirm their desire to opt into recurring SMS marketing messages by replying "Y" to an initial text message.
If Postscript does not receive a confirmed opt-in, then the number is not added as a subscriber. By employing confirmed opt-in, you can:
- Build a subscriber list that is verified and engaged, increasing potential ROI while decreasing sending spend.
- Create a record of a subscriber’s consent to receive your shop's recurring text messages, allowing you to prove the subscriber knowingly opted-in if you ever need to.
- Validate phone numbers entered at checkout, in popups, or via forms which prevents someone from falsely opting in with a number that can't receive SMS messages (i.e., a landline).
In this article, we outline how confirmed opt-in works and provide you with some resources you can reference to ensure your SMS program is compliant.
How Confirmed Opt-In Works
After a site visitor enters their phone number in a popup, form, or checkout page, the popup will prompt them to confirm their opt-in. Here's an example:
The subscriber will receive the following message on the mobile device that belongs to the phone number they entered:
Shop Name: Reply Y to subscribe to recurring automated promotional msgs (e.g. cart reminders). Msg & data rates may apply.
Once the subscriber replies Y, they'll receive the below confirmation message:
Shop Name: You're subscribed! Reply STOP to unsubscribe, HELP for help. Msgs powered by Postscript.
From there, subscribers will be ushered into any welcome series you have set up for subscribers who opt-in via popups, forms, or checkout.
- Want to learn more about how Postscript helps you stay compliant when it comes to opt-outs? Check out this overview.
- Interested in how Postscript approaches compliance? We've got you covered with our SMS Marketing Compliance Overview
- Did you know Postscript recognizes "fuzzy opt outs"? In our How Postscript Protects Your Shop with Automatic Subscriber Removals article, we discuss fuzzy opt outs and more.
Need ongoing channel strategy guidance? Please fill out this form and we'll connect you to one of our certified partners.