Segments help you target subscribers and customers based on historical data to ensure you are sending the right message, to the right person, at the right time.
Why You Should Use Segments
- Segments allow you to engage specific parts of your customer and subscriber base with personalized experiences.
- You can make segments as general or specific as you want (ex: Customers with a total spend less than $100 vs. Customers with a total spend less than $100 who have purchased your red lipstick, coral lipstick, blush lipstick, and berry lipstick products).
- Segments can help you boost your ROI by making it easy to target customers with cross-sells, product recommendations, loyalty offers, or win-back campaigns.
Create a Segment
- Select Messaging in the side menu of your Postscript dashboard, then select Segments.
- Select Create Segment in the top-right corner of the page.
Let's create an example segment together. Say we want to create a segment for subscribers who subscribed on or after a specific date but haven't placed an order with our store. Our setup for this segment would look like this:
- Name your segment. Choose a name that tells you who the segment targets. We named ours "Subscribers on/after 5/1 who haven't ordered" since that's exactly who we want to reach.
- Define your criteria. Choose your criteria and a corresponding parameter (e.g. greater than, includes, etc.). Enter your value in the empty field.
Add additional criteria. You can include one or more criteria in a segment. Additional criteria help you further narrow your intended subset of customers. You can add additional criteria using AND or OR statements.
- AND Example: Customers who have spent over $50.00 AND have never received a text from our store.
- OR Example: Customers who have purchased our coral water bottle OR customers who have purchased our lime green water bottle.
- Review segment size. As you apply criteria, the number of members in your segment size will adjust. If the number doesn't look correct, double-check your criteria.
- Select Save Segment to save your new segment.
Note: Postscript creates default segments such as “All US/CANADA Customers and Subscribers” and “Customers Texted More Than Once”. These segments populate for every subscriber and cannot be deleted.
You should now be all set to get started with segments!
Have questions? Please feel free to reach out to our wonderful Support team at email@example.com or via live chat. You can also submit a support request here!
Need ongoing channel strategy guidance? Please fill out this form and we'll connect you to one of our certified partners.