Growing your subscriber list is an essential part of a strong SMS strategy, and Postscript offers several creative ways to add SMS list growth opportunities throughout your marketing efforts.
In this article, we are going to introduce growing your list using Instagram.
Why You Should Grow Your List with Instagram
If you have a strong Instagram following (or you're working on growing one), you're likely posting stories and engaging with your followers regularly.
These days, consumers are more likely to check out your social media accounts before heading to your website to shop, and that’s easy traffic you could convert into SMS subscribers.
Instagram stories offer you several advantages when it comes to engaging potential SMS subscribers:
- Highly interactive. Instagram stories offer polls, countdowns, music, and dynamic text. These elements give your content a "live" feel, allowing followers to interact in real-time even if you posted the story hours ago.
- Endless creative options. Instagram stories can be static images, videos, or animations. Varying these types of content creates an engaging experience for your followers that they'll enjoy viewing.
- Ease of the linked Instagram story. Instagram allows you to place a link sticker in a story that can take your followers to a product page, your shop, or a specific website.
Using Keywords on Instagram
Keywords are a quick and easy way to collect subscribers on Instagram, whether through your grid posts or your stories. We suggest the below recommendations when using keywords on Instagram that will help your efforts stay compliant.
- Use a unique keyword for each Instagram post, giveaway, or promotion. By unique, we mean you should not advertise this keyword elsewhere--on your website, popups, or other SMS campaigns.
- A unique keyword allows you to know which subscribers opted in via a specific Instagram grid post or story.
- Keep a copy of your keyword graphic. This might mean downloading your story or grabbing a screenshot of your grid post and description. Now you can show that, while advertising this keyword, you displayed the correct compliance language (more on that below).
Create an Instagram Grid Post
Posting on your Instagram grid is a great way to stay present in your followers' Instagram feeds. You can promote a giveaway, sale, or VIP club and invite your followers to subscribe to SMS messages for a giveaway entry, discount code, or exclusive news and deals.
With an Instagram grid post, you want to make sure you're including compliant opt-in language. Here are some examples:
If you are including a keyword and short code in the image of your Instagram grid post, then you want to make sure you include the necessary compliance language.
- The image includes the keyword and short code or number.
- The image includes the necessary compliance language beneath the call to action.
If you are including a keyword and short code in the description or caption of your Instagram grid post, then you want to make sure you include the necessary compliance language.
- The description includes the keyword and short code or number.
- The description includes the necessary compliance language beneath the call to action.
Create an Instagram Story
When it comes to Instagram stories, you have the option to include a sticker link or a basic call to action.
- Sticker Links can include the opt-in short link you created in Postscript or the link to a dedicated landing page. If you are using an opt-in link, you'll need to include compliance language in your story image.
- Call to Actions can include your keyword and short code or phone number (along with TCPA-compliant opt-in language).
- Create your Instagram story as you usually would.
- Select the link sticker from the menu options.
- Enter the opt-in short link you created in Postscript.
- Each story includes the keyword and short code or number.
- Each story includes the necessary compliance language beneath the call to action.
- If you choose to share a post in your story, and that post image includes a keyword and short code or number, then include the compliance text beneath the shared post.
Instagram Pro Tip: Save your SMS story to your Instagram Highlights so future followers can find your opt-in link or keyword.
Influencers hold sway with their followers and can be an effective way to grow your SMS list.
For Instagram influencers, it's important they include the following items in their promotion of your products and shop:
- Their unique keyword (You'll want a unique keyword so you can track the performance).
- Compliant opt-in language present where they advertise their keyword (e.g., in an Instagram story, a gird post, etc.)
Compliance Language Requirements
When collecting subscribers, the TCPA requires you to include necessary compliance language that informs visitors that they are opting into SMS messaging from your store.
Here's the TCPA-approved compliance language:
Need ongoing channel strategy guidance? Please fill out this form and we'll connect you to one of our certified partners.