Did you know subscribers are 5x more likely to unsubscribe from your SMS program within their first 30 days of being subscribed? By targeting engaged subscribers, you can even send more timely campaigns in order to improve subscriber retention. Targeting engaged subscribers also allows you to craft campaigns that are more relevant to subscriber buying habits and previous interactions with your brand.
Benefits of Targeting Engaged Subscribers
- Convert more subscribers into customers/repeat purchasers by sending campaigns relevant to their purchase history and/or previous engagement with your brand.
- Increase your retention by targeting new subscribers at the beginning of their subscriber journey and enticing them with a deal, VIP access, or loyalty points.
Before we dive in, let's quickly discuss how to create a segment and take a look at the segment creation page. To begin creating your segment, select Messaging in the side menu of your Postscript dashboard, then select Segments. From there, select Create Segment in the top-right corner of the page.
- Name your segment. Choose a name that tells you who the segment targets and is easily identifiable when adding this segment to your campaign.
- Review segment size. As you apply criteria, the number of members in your segment size will adjust. If the number doesn't look correct, double-check your criteria.
- Include all phone-only subscribers means you'd like to include all phone numbers that do not have customer data associated with them. These profiles consist of phone numbers only.
- Define your criteria. Choose your criteria and a corresponding parameter (e.g. greater than, includes, etc.). Enter your value in the empty field.
Add additional criteria. You can include one or more criteria in a segment. Additional criteria help you further narrow your intended subset of customers. You can add additional criteria using AND or OR statements.
- AND Example: Customers who have spent over $50.00 AND have never received a text from our store.
- OR Example: Customers who have purchased our coral water bottle OR customers who have purchased our lime green water bottle.
- Select Save Segment to save your new segment.
Adding Criteria that Capture Engaged Subscribers
The following section is to highlight criteria your brand can leverage when crafting an engaged subscriber segment. Tip: Combine several criteria by using AND and OR connectors to get more granular with your targeting.
Subscriber Created Date to capture subscribers who recently subscribed to your SMS program.
- Subscribers are the most engaged with your brand within their first 30 days of subscribing.
- This window is also the period of time they're the most likely to opt-out of your SMS program so targeting them with enticing deals or VIP access to increase retention is key.
When a subscriber clicks on a link in your messages, you've successfully piqued their interest and engaged them.
- To target folks who have clicked on any of your messages, use the criteria Last Click Date (or Subscriber has Clicked equals TRUE if your sending frequency is low).
- If you're interested in capturing subscribers who have clicked on a link in a specific campaign or automation, you can use the criteria Automations Clicked or Campaigns Clicked.
You may address repeat purchasers differently from prospects so consider adding a filter for purchase history when creating your segment. Alternatively, you could even use this filter to create two separate segments -engaged purchasers and engaged non-purchasers.
- Using criteria like Last Order Date can help you hone in on recent purchasers who are still engaged with your brand.
- Alternatively, you can use this criterion to target engaged subscribers (engaged meaning they could still be clicking links or browsing your products), but haven't placed an order in awhile.
Filtering by if subscribers have received or clicked links in specific cart recovery automations can be a helpful indicator to gauge how high-intent a subscriber is.
- Consider using this criterion in tandem with automations like high-value abandoned carts, Product Added to Cart or browse abandonment automations.
Need ongoing channel strategy guidance? Please fill out this form and we'll connect you to one of our certified partners.