Tip: Select any of the images in this article for a closer look.
In this article, we walk through how you can use Postscript's Partner API to add subscribers.
Why Use Postscript Partner API to Add Subscribers
- Build your own custom subscriber form (ex: popups or forms).
- Build your own custom integration with another service and Postscript.
- Add subscribers you’ve collected elsewhere to Postscript.
Create a Keyword
Before you can use Postscript API to add subscribers, you need to create a keyword that will track opt-ins from the source.
You can create keywords by selecting Keywords in the side menu of your Postscript dashboard.
To create a new keyword, select Create Keyword in the top-right corner of the page.
Stores on a dedicated toll-free number or short code can create unlimited keywords, even keywords used by other brands. For example, multiple drink brands on a dedicated number can create and use the keyword THIRSTY. Stores on a Postscript trial can create 2 keywords.
- Keyword. Name your keyword. Aim for something that explains what the keyword is for and any coupon included.
- Save. Select Save Keyword to save your keyword and continue to the final step.
Postscript creates an auto-reply and opt-in message that sends whenever a subscriber texts in the keyword. You can edit these messages or add additional messages.
- Reply. You can edit the details in a reply message by selecting the gear icon in the purple Reply box.
- Add Action. You can add a second response by selecting Add Action.
We encourage you to put your brand's heart and voice in these messages as it could be the first message your subscribers get from you. You can use GIFs, images, and emojis, if applicable.
Use Postscript API to Add Subscribers
The Postscript API has a specific section on keywords and subscribers. To use the API to add a subscriber via your newly created keyword, you'll need to complete the following steps:
1. Use an API call to get the ID for the keyword you created
You can find specific instructions for this call in the Keywords section of our Partner API documentation. Head to Get Keywords.
2. Add subscribers to Postscript using the keyword ID in the API call
You can find specific instructions for this call in the Subscribers section of our Partner API documentation. Head to Create Subscriber with Keyword.
Compliance Language Requirements
Anywhere you are collecting subscriber information, you’ll want to be sure to add compliant language, like the below example. Learn more about text message compliance here.
Here's an example of compliant language:
You should now be able to use our API to add subscribers. If you want more information on Postscript's subscriber API, check out our Partner API docs.
Need ongoing channel strategy guidance? Please fill out this form and we'll connect you to one of our certified partners.