So what's a keyword exactly? Excellent question! A keyword is a term or phrase that individuals can text to your toll-free number or short code to opt into your shop's SMS marketing. Keywords can work behind the scenes, like when using a banner or landing page, or they can work front and center, like with our two-touch mobile popup experience.
How do keywords work?
- Create a keyword and add your keyword reply. Need inspo? Check out Fantastic Texts.
- Share this keyword
- You can share your keyword with customers, social media followers, or connect it to your mobile popup so these individuals can text your keyword to your dedicated toll-free number or short code.
- You can also use keywords to connect specific integrations to Postscript.
- Lastly, you can use keywords to connect banners, landing pages, short links or email call-to-action buttons to Postscript
- Once a subscriber triggers a keyword, they are added to your list an SMS subscriber and receive a keyword reply after opt-in.
Check out this clean email campaign! It features both a keyword (ILOVEBANDS) with the number to text as well as a call-to-action button. We especially love this campaign because you can clearly see the TCPA compliance opt-in language that informs the texter what will happen when they text ILOVEBANDS to the store's short code.
You can use keywords via short links on social media! You can put a short link on your story (like in this example), in a link tree, or even include your keyword and toll-free number or short code in a caption. Just be sure to include that TCPA compliance opt-in language!
You may also choose to use a banner at the top of your site that entices subscribers to opt in to your SMS marketing! This banner leads to a landing page where subscribers can opt in. This is an example of keywords working behind the scenes. Though the subscriber never sees the keyword, the keyword is connected to the landing page. Once a subscriber opts-in via the landing page, they will trigger the correlating keyword reply.
Two-touch functionality on mobile popups is one of the most popular methods of subscriber acquisition! Peep the keyword in this example JOCO15. This experience only requires the visitor to touch the call-to-action button on the popup and touch the send button in their native texting app in order to be opted in (hence the name two-touch).
You're basically a pro now, but want to learn more?
- Looking for more ways to Grow Your List with Keywords? Learn strategies for how you can use keywords to compliantly collect SMS subscribers.
- Ready to create keywords unique to your brand? Go ahead, Create a Keyword. This article has all the tips and tricks you need.
- Have an idea to take your keyword replies to the next level? Learn just how to customize those replies here!
- Prefer something custom-built? No prob. Learn how to use keywords to Create Subscribers with Postscript API.
- Just here for a quick question? Check out our Keyword FAQs.
Have questions? Please feel free to reach out to our wonderful Support team at email@example.com or via live chat. You can also submit a support request here!
Need ongoing channel strategy guidance? Please fill out this form and we'll connect you to one of our certified partners.