Postscript integrates with Slack, allowing your customer service team to receive and respond to subscriber text messages using a dedicated Slack channel.
Slack brings teams together and connects people to the information they need. With Slack, shops of all sizes can level up their communication and collaboration to get more work done.
How Our Slack Integration Benefits You
- Receive and respond to subscriber text messages using a dedicated Slack channel.
- Keep conversations threaded, allowing your team to focus on the conversation and work with the context they need.
- Continue to use the Slack channel to communicate within your team. Only messages sent in subscriber's message thread will send to the subscriber.
Create a Postscript API Key
- Select your Shop Name in the side menu of your Postscript dashboard, then select API.
- Select Create Security Key Pair on the right side of the page, then confirm your action by selecting Yes.
- Select Show in the Private Key column to reveal your API key. Copy this key or write it down—you'll need to enter it in Slack later.
Connect Postscript and Slack
- Select the above Add to Slack button.
- You will be prompted to log into your Slack workspace.
- Review the Postscript <> Slack integration permissions.
- Select the Slack Channel where you wish for Postscript conversations to populate.
- Select Allow.
- Enter your Postscript Private API Key in the field provided.
- Click the next tab to see how you can invite Postscript Bot to the correct Slack channel.
After installation, you will need to "invite" the Postscript Slack bot to your desired Slack channel. Simply type /invite @Postscript into the message field for the channel and hit send.
You should then see the below message in the channel, letting you know your Postscript integration is live.
Once your integration is live, all new subscriber texts will appear as a message in the Slack channel you chose during setup.
Texts will show as from Postscript and will feature the subscriber’s phone number as the name.
- If a subscriber sends another text within an hour of their first text, then the new text will be included as part of the first text's thread.
- If a subscriber sends a text an hour after the last text they sent in, it will appear as a new message in the channel.
To respond to a subscriber’s text, a team member can simply reply to the original message’s thread. All Slack messages posted to that thread will be sent as an SMS to the subscriber.
Your team can still use the channel to communicate with one another regarding questions a subscriber might have. To ensure these messages do not go to a subscriber, these messages should be posted in the channel and not a text's message thread.
Got Questions? We've Got Answers
Can we send or receive MMS messages?
- We are working to deliver the ability to send and receive MMS messages, but it is not currently available with this integration.
What happens if I react to a subscriber’s message in Slack?
- Nothing happens over text. Team members can react to a subscriber’s message however they want and no message will be sent to the subscriber. Only text-based Slack messages (not reactions) entered in a message thread will be sent to the subscriber.
Can I see more information about the subscriber besides their phone number?
- We are working to deliver the ability the see more information about a subscriber within Slack, but it is not currently available with this integration. Currently, only the number appears. You can copy the number into your search field in Postscript to access subscriber details.
What happens if I send a Slack message that is not threaded in the same channel where we set up the integration?
- This Slack message would post to the channel as normal but would not send to any customers as a text. Only messages sent in a subscriber's message thread will send to the subscriber.
Can we send emojis?
- Yes! We support sending all standard emojis from Slack to SMS and vice versa. Any custom emojis that you have in your Slack workspace, however, will not be translated on SMS since they are custom.
Can we connect more than one Postscript account to our Slack workspace?
- Absolutely! You can connect as many Postscript accounts to a single Slack workspace as makes sense for your brand. Repeat the steps outlined above, but select a different Slack channel for the messages to display. You'll also need to enter a new Postscript API key. Last, don't forget to invite the Postscript bot to the new channel. We recommend you name the different Slack channels in a way that allows you to identify the different accounts.
Have questions? Please feel free to reach out to our wonderful Support team at firstname.lastname@example.org or via live chat. You can also submit a support request here!
Need ongoing channel strategy guidance? Please fill out this form and we'll connect you to one of our certified partners.