At Postscript, we partner closely with Twilio to ensure our brands can effectively and compliantly communicate with their subscribers around the world. Beginning June 1st, 2023, mobile carriers in the United Kingdom will no longer deliver messages to UK-based recipients sent from US toll-free numbers.
In this article, we discuss what’s changing, how to continue communicating with your UK-based subscribers, and answer some frequently asked questions.
What's Changing and When
Beginning June 1st, 2023, United Kingdom mobile carriers will no longer deliver messages sent from toll-free numbers. In order for brands to continue sending to recipients based in the UK, shops will need to send from a UK 10-digit long code (10 DLC).
A 10 DLC includes a local country code allowing your brand to foster a trusted and localized messaging experience for your subscribers. If you choose to request a 10 DLC, your number will begin with a +44 country code.
How to Acquire a UK 10 DLC for Your Account
Any shop, regardless of selected plan, may request a UK 10 DLC to be provisioned to their account at any time. The cost of a long code is $1.15USD per month and is defined by UK carriers. Postscript lists that exact amount on your invoice, then passes it straight from you to UK carriers. To request a 10 DLC, please contact your Customer Success Manager or our support team.
Long codes will take 3 to 5 business days to be provisioned to your account.
Locate Your Assigned 10 Digit Long Code
- From your Postscript Dashboard, select Acquisition. Then select Keywords.
- Your UK 10 DLC and US/CA toll-free number will be listed at the top of the page.
- Where can I find the cost of a 10 DLC on my invoice? You can locate the cost of your 10 DLC on your billing Overview tab.
- Do I still need to request a 10 DLC if I have a short code? Yes. Designated short codes (DSC) are country specific. A US-based DSC will not deliver messages to the UK. If you have a UK-based audience, you should still request a 10 DLC be provisioned to your account.
- What happens if I do not have a 10 DLC and send a campaign to UK subscribers? If you attempt to send to UK-based recipients from any number (other than a UK 10 DLC), your messages will not be delivered and you will not be charged for those undelivered messages.
- Do I need to manually switch what number I am sending from? No. Postscript ensures your messages are delivered from the correct number - designated short code, toll-free number, or 10 DLC - depending on target audience.
Have questions? Please feel free to reach out to our wonderful Support team at email@example.com or via live chat. You can also submit a support request here!
Need ongoing channel strategy guidance? Please fill out this form and we'll connect you to one of our certified partners.