Introduction to AfterShip
AfterShip collects shipping updates from hundreds of different couriers, and presents all of them to a shop in a unified system. Shopify stores will use AfterShip if they feel their customers can get more accurate shipping and delivery tracking information.
This integration receives those updates from AfterShip and uses them to trigger automations to send texts.
The information is similar to what we get from Shopify, but more detailed: there are more automation trigger types, and more fields for trigger filters.
However, the biggest change is that this is the first integration to support transactional-only subscribers. If you are unfamiliar with transactional-only subscribers, please reference this article here.
The same merge tags you can place in texts are supported as for the Shopify equivalents: tracking link, shipping company, tracking number.
Unique Features of AfterShip Integration
- In addition to Order In Transit (Shipping) and Order Delivered which are also available from Shopify, AfterShip supports Out for Delivery (In the truck/on the way from distribution center) and Failed Attempt triggers. These are automation triggers that can be used like any other triggers to kickoff an automation.
- Beyond that, AfterShip allows for an extreme level of customization with trigger filters, to match specific sub-types of shipping status. For example you can filter for only cases where the order is available for pickup, held at customs, the package was signed by the customer, etc.
- Other interesting trigger filters include how long the shipment has been in transit, whether the package was returned to sender, the number of packages, and origin/destination countries. All of these events can trigger a text to be sent to the customer.
Installing the Integration
Postscript is not a replacement for AfterShip, but we do want to replace AfterShip's SMS notifications. The installation instructions when you turn on the integration (from the Integrations tab) instruct users on disabling AfterShip's SMS messages, to prevent duplicate messages to customers.
To integrate AfterShip with Postscript, follow these two simple screenshots starting with the Integrations tab in your account:
Next, go ahead and follow the instructions from the integration page. When this is complete, you'll click Save Integration at the top right.
For your reference here is the text from the integration page including how you will disable AfterShip SMS notifications:
1. Copy your Webhook Secret
Log into AfterShip, navigate to "Settings" → "Notifications". Scroll down to your "Webhook Secret" and copy and paste it here.
2. Add Webhook URL To AfterShip
On the "Settings" page, click on "Add a webhook URL". Copy and paste the URL below into the dialog box.
3. Disable AfterShip SMS Notifications
Scroll to "Email and SMS" and disable SMS notifications for "In Transit", "Out for Delivery", "Delivery", and "Failed Attempt" under BOTH "To Customers" and "To Subscribers".
This prevents customers from receiving duplicate messages for shipping notifications.
4. Add Your Tracking Subdomain
Click on "Tracking Pages" then click on the tracking page you want customers to visit when tracking their shipments. Copy the subdomain of the tracking page URL under "Your tracking page URL is". The subdomain is the part of the URL before ".aftership.com". For example, for the page "myshop.aftership.com/?page-name=tracking-page", the subdomain is "myshop".
If you do not want to use a custom tracking page, you can leave this as "track" for the default AfterShip tracking page.
5. Save Your Integration
Be sure to click "Save Integration" on AfterShip to start using the Postscript AfterShip integration!
Reasons to use Postscript for AfterShip SMS Notifications
Nobody would quit AfterShip outright, the question is just what they use to send SMS messages.
- The clearest incentive for customers to move their SMS to us is that (at least for the US) we have a lower per-message cost. A large store that sends only to the US could save over $1k/month by switching to us.
- Responses (to our site, Zendesk, or Gorgias) from customers managed in one place
- User Filters and Trigger Filters for more personalized messages
- Managing all of your shop's texting out of one place!
If you have any questions related to the AfterShip integration, please chat with us! We're here to help.